Brijrama Palace Varanasi
“Varanasi, is older than history, Older than tradition, even older than legend and looks twice as old as all of them put together” – Mark Twain
Brijrama Palace is one of the oldest landmarks of Varanasi on the Banks of river Ganga and only second to Ramnagar fort, in heritage.
The Palace was built in the year 1812 by ‘Shridhara Narayana Munshi’ who was the minister for the estate of Nagpur. Munshi Ghat, adjacent to the palace is named after him.
In 1915, the Brahmin King of Darbhanga (Bihar) ‘Rameshwar Singh Bahadur’ acquired the palace and the Ghat came to be known as Darbhanga Ghat.
The architecture and the design is directly influenced by the erstwhile ruling dynasty of the Marathas. It was post 1915 that the 2nd floor of the palace was constructed and around the time that the elevator was added, this made it one of the first elevator adopted by the country.